Click LIKE & follow us on Facebook for recipe updates

COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM

Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 500 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.


Follow us on Instagram: mfa_dingoozatfood


If you're a company looking for possible collaboration, feel free to send me a message via Miki's Food Archives Facebook Fan Page or email to miki9mak@gmail.com


Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Rabbit Pie... with grouper fish and vegetables in japanese curry





Brer Rabbit: Fry me, boil me, bake me in a pie


Yeap... The Brer Rabbit & The Blackberry Bush story....One of my boy's favorite story before bedtime. After a long drag upon his request for 'Rabbit Pie', I finally made it today. 

I never bake a pie before so i did some research online....the more I read, the less confident i have to make the pie filling. Not that I do not know how to make the filling based on the recipe, my biggest challenge is to make my boy eat it! He never like western food, never like pie either! 

So I had made up my mind not to cook the creamy filling.... I thought of 2 ways of making it. Use the instant chicken cream or instant japanese curry. I let him choose his flavor. Yeah...Japanese Curry is always his preference. Added some potato, carrot and fresh grouper in it. It turned out better than I had expected, I mean the taste of the curry and pastry, not the rabbit ears..hahaha..

Well, the rabbit ears were not really looks like what they supposed to look like. I first shaped a big and long rabbit ears just like the one in the story book. But...... it couldn't stand alone on top even with the baby corn can't hold it in shapes. So I trimmed it smaller and smaller and smaller....and that's it! Only left 2 skinny ears! hahaha... I will make this again someday, perhaps I'll bake the ears separately.... Like what my sister in law always say to me: Practice makes perfect! I definitely need more practice on this :)

If anyone popped by this blog and have ideas on how to make perfect rabbit ears on pie....feel free to comment in the comment box below....thank you!!


My little helper made this with me today. He mashed the carrot and potato that he said he will never eat them! 

The one on the right, my boy said he needs something black to make rabbit eyes...So I gave him 4 chocolate chips for the eye balls (2 on each pie, that's what I thought). Hahaha...He put all 4 on his pie!


Ingredients:

Important Notes:

If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.


注意:



如果您要分享此食谱,请联系这个部落格的相关链接。敬请不要复制或改篇为自己的食谱。谢谢!



2 Grouper Fish Fillet

Pinch of Salt 

Pinch of Pepper

1 pkt Instant Japanese Curry or home cooked Japanese Curry

1 Puff Pastry (thawed to room temperature)

Some steamed potato and carrot, cut into chunks/ mashed

About 50ml Water

Egg lightly beaten for egg wash


Method:


1. Season the fillet with very little salt and pepper. Let marinate for 15 minutes.

2. Steam the fish for 10 minutes. Use a fork, cut into big chunks. 

3. In a ramekin, place the carrot and potato on the bottom. 

4. In a bowl, stir in 50ml water into the instant curry. Mix well.

5. Pour the curry into the ramekin. Gently stir. Add in fish fillet. Gently press the fillet into the curry.



6. Cut pastry into square slightly bigger than the ramekin. Place the puff pastry on top and press on the edges. Make 2 slits on the pastry. Egg wash. Bake in preheated oven 180'C (middle rack) for 25-30 minutes. 



Tips:
If serving for kids, it's best to pour the filling on a plate because the curry is extremely HOT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...