Click LIKE & follow us on Facebook for recipe updates

COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM

Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 500 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.


Follow us on Instagram: mfa_dingoozatfood


If you're a company looking for possible collaboration, feel free to send me a message via Miki's Food Archives Facebook Fan Page or email to miki9mak@gmail.com


Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Pink Spongy Cupcakes, natural color from Beetroot 粉红杯子蛋糕, 天然色素


Today is my boy's kindergarten concert rehearsal day. Woke up very early in the morning, not to prepare for breakfast as I already baked some Turtle Polo Bun for our breakfast. Sigh... once a year, need to go school very early for preparation! 

Not planning to bake anything today after a busy morning. But when we got back home, my boy suddenly said he didn't want to see 13:00 (the time!), 'just want to stay in the kitchen' he said. And, he asked me to make pink cake for him. He is a lucky boy... I had a small beetroot in my fridge, so we just go ahead to make something NEW!


Well, this 'baking experiment' that I did today wasn't easy. The first batch of cupcakes turned out brown color! Only the top part a little pinkish. 





First batch, failed!


First batch, failed

He said 'Mommy, it's not pink you know...' . We were not very happy with that brown color and he suggested to make again. AGAIN? I don't always entertain 'AGAIN' request, but today he behaved very well, so we make AGAIN. And, the 2nd batch turned out nice, not really all pink but at least is a HAPPY COLOR. :)



Left- 1st batch, Right - 2nd batch
I'm happy that he likes the 2nd batch cupcakes. He ate 4 or 6, hmmm..... I had lost count how many we ate! 

These cakes are spongy, not really like Chiffon. So I decided to name them Spongy Cake instead of chiffon (just don't want to confuse others), but it's very soft and taste good. No beetroot taste as I added some lemon juice in it. With a little lemon fragrant, but not sour at all. My hubby said they taste like those cakes with artificial flavoring. Ahemm... is that good or bad review?? My cakes made of all natural ingredients but taste like cake with artificial flavoring?! Who cares? as long as my boy likes it, this is a successful recipe to me! However, I will make some modification in my next attempt, hope can get a nicer pink color. I'll update in this blog if my experiment successful! :)


Here's a video to show the texture of the cake. Or watch the video at Miki's Food Archives Facebook 




Ingredients: (Make 10 small cupcakes)



Important Notes:

If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.


注意:



如果您要分享此食谱,请联系这个部落格的相关链接。敬请不要复制或改篇为自己的食谱。谢谢!






(A)
2 Egg Yolk (from large eggs)
16g Castor Sugar
25g Olive Oil (this is what I have in my kitchen, can be substitute with corn oil)
20g Beetroot Juice (freshly squeezed from grated beetroot)
14g Fresh Milk
Pinch of Salt
40g Cake Flour

(B)
2 Egg White (from large eggs)
30g Castor Sugar
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Method:
1. In a big mixing bowl, lightly whisk egg yolk. Add in sugar, whisk until pale and thick. Add in oil mix well. Add in beetroot juice, milk and salt, mix well. Sift in cake flour, mix until just combined.
2. Set aside.
I don't have in-progress pictures. My boy joined me in the making, I can only take a quick snapshot just to proof that he was helping me :) , to show his dad! 


3. Whisk egg white until foamy. Add sugar gradually and whisk until stiff peak and glossy. 
4. Fold egg white into egg yolk batter (3 batches). Fold in lemon juice. Pour evenly into 10 paper cups, I didn't weight today. Just make sure they are not too full and 'look alike'. haha...


5. Bake in a preheated oven 190'C for 15 minutes.
  















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...